Sunday, August 23, 2009

The Soloist

I was actually looking forward to this movie. I mean, Robert Downey Jr? And Jamie Foxx as a homeless crazy bum? Fuck yeah. Man, was I disappointed. For starters, the film is based on a true story about Steve Lopez (Robert Downey Jr.) Los Angeles Times columnist who discovers Nathaniel Ayers (Jamie Foxx), a gifted musician who is homeless and schizophrenic. So, Lopez then makes it his life mission to get to know Ayers and find out about his life story and write it off to tell the world. The films main core is to create awareness for the audience on the situation of the homeless and the troubles that plague them. I didn't met any homeless people when I went up to LA but I met a plentiful at San Francisco and fuck were they crazy.

A pic of a homeless person above. One time I was just walking by minding my own business when suddenly BAM! This homeless woman comes up to me and starts mumbling shit. It wasn't any language I ever heard off but she just kept talking to me. I just walked off with only one thing on my mind: What the FUCK was that?! Anyways back to the review.

Its suffice to say that Jamie Foxx stands out in this role as I guess its different. But it wasn't that good and I've certainly seen better performances. Robert Downey Jr. is no doubt brilliant playing a man who tries to banter a crusade for Ayer's causes. Initially, Lopez wanted to tell people about Ayers but ended up forming a friendship with him. This friendship however is put to the test because of Ayers schizophrenic behaviour that caused his current homeless status. However the film is the one major drawback was that it didn't manage to draw me into the film. It just told the story, that's it. The character development could have been better but got lost in the frame. There was absolutely nothing that drew me in. My guess is that director Joe Wright lost his direction and got too into the whole creating awareness for the homeless. If that was the case, this would have worked better as a documentary.

One advice Hollywood; no more movies based on true stories. Its just not good. The reason being; it bores the hell out of us. Yeah, movies based on history are fine but movies based on somebody's life. Pfft. Fuck off. What made the film worth watching is the evolving friendship between Ayers and Lopez and the ensuing rollercoaster ride. Catherine Keener makes an appearance as Lopez's ex-wife but there was nothing that suggested why they separated and Keener was very underused in the film. Catherine Keener used to be hot, if any of you who watched Being John Malkovich would suggest. I should recommend that movie soon.


Catherine Kenner in Being John Malkovich

Catherine Keener in the Soloist

Man, age can do some real damage. I give this film a 5/10.

Positives: Robert Downey Jr., Creates awareness, Friendship between Ayers and Lopez

Negatives: Boring, Nothing to draw me in, Average character development, Slow

No comments:

Post a Comment

Basterds

About Me

My photo
Motto Lotto: Ad absurdum